Monday 27 June 2022

Life Class 1967 - a memoir chapter one, 'The Life Room'.

 1. The Life Room

     The first naked woman. Thirty teenagers nervously converged from

the city’s sixth form art rooms, arriving by bus, eventually finding the top

floor of a huge glass building with views over the hills. All, without

conferring, never having met before, have contrived to pop home or

 somehow else change from their hated uniforms into something in

which they hope to pass as art students, like transvestites out for a walk

at twilight, getting a thrill from merely not being challenged as illicitly

assuming a false identity.



     She doesn’t come out immediately - she’s sitting near a screen

wearing a sort of long embroidered wrap around chinesey satin thing.

 Bill introduces himself - tall, bearded and smoking a cigarette. Evie will

sit for twenty minutes at a time with five minute rests. They will draw with

a huge fragile stick of charcoal on a lavishly large sheet of paper on a

board bearing the marks of generations of students. This week

drawing pins - in future bring your own set of shiny drawing board clips -

possession of which, like the scaffolder with his special spanner swinging


from his belt, confers a new status.

Bill is the first male teacher most of the girls have encountered. Later

he’ll come to squat down uncomfortably close to each one, bright blue

eyes scrutinising the charcoal marks, smelling of beer and smoke. After

a few minutes sorting out the model, who seems very large, very old,

enormous breasts subsiding unsupported, Bill leaves the room. The

students don’t even talk, they work, they use all their art teachers have

 already taught them, using some sickly child excluded from games,

bony and tiny in artex shirt and thick serge shorts, with only the feet

naked after much persuasion. Evie tells them she’s often been on the

point of resigning her post as model, but when Bill looks at her with

those big deep mediterranean blue sparklers she can’t tell him. She

never goes out without a hat.

     The charcoal makes slight scratchy noises and marks that can’t be

rubbed out easily. Bill can tell if we’ve been working. He returns briefly at

the end to encourage, to breath alcohol over us and then makes us

display our work. We are the best A level material. We have just

encountered a naked woman, almost a different species from the slim
                                                              
shy girl who wonders if she will ever be attractive, just pre-Twiggy who

made that shape exactly fine, just when cigarette cards showed Gina

Lollabrigida, Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, all ample, hourglass, 

 fleshy, their faces plastered, eye lashes darkened, a look Evie has in the

way her face, her eyes, her lips are painted, contrasting with the loose

heavy folds of her body in repose.

     We need to roll up our work, sprayed with that pungent fixative spray,

and by next week I have a red plastic quiver to carry the drawings on my

back nonchalantly as I hang about the college library looking at books

and out of the corner of my eye seeing a boy, a real art student, all

existentially black polo necked with long hair and stubble, also reading,

but unlike me able to take books out, to be part of the place.

     On holiday in St.Ives I saw the beatniks on the wall, all day to sit

around, someone with a guitar, like the one I played in my bedroom,

being Joan Baez, in front of the newspaper photo of Peter Sellars as

Richard the Third reading the words of the Beatles ‘Its been a hard day’s

night’  - and  when I get home - will there ever be someone to come

home to?
                                                       
   Some families do not speak of love, of sex, of fear - what do they talk
                                                              
about? - so many secrets because one topic could set off another? Will I

ever be considered old enough to receive all the secrets? - so far, that

Nana’s mother died soon after she was born and Nana was brought up

by her Uncle, brought up to think her father was her Uncle and her
 

Uncle was her Father, so that’s why she hates her Sister? the one that 


isn’t really her Sister? Oh no she doesn’t, how could you say that, she

loves her Sister, who isn’t her Sister, the one that is really a Cousin, who

lives in a big house with a harp and lodgers and dogs and they have no

children, but cages of birds and two big dogs and she wears a fur coat,

whereas Nana lives in a council house with an outside toilet and the

house overlooks the clanking goods railway that goes up to the Red Mill.

My Sister who was there in the War heard the grown ups say the Uncles

in the army were ‘over there’ and she thought therefore that the War was

at the Red Mill, and why didn’t they come home at night to sleep?

     Some families might have talked of this, of the goodness of the Sister

who took over the child when her Mother died, of the sorrow that

Beattie’s Mother died of a fever soon after giving birth, of the child who
                                                              
also died in infancy, of how on my father’s side Uncle Norman died of

cancer and left Bessie to cope so well, but instead the complete secrecy
                                                       
around the sudden disapperance of Norman led me to think he was in

prison, to imagine from the age of five to sixteen, when I found out the

truth and was so angry, that a warehouse on the way to Nana’s which

we saw from the bus, was the prison, to think every Saturday on the way

to Nana’s that Uncle Norman was in there, we never mention him. So I 

never did, not even to the Cousins who could have told me that their

Dad had died.

     Sometime around then Nana went crazy for a while. I had been

reading R.D. Laing’s ‘Knots’ about the convoluted family dynamics that

make sense of mental illness. Nana got up in the night and my Horrible

Uncle found her in her nightdress insisting she must give herself up to

the police.

    I had to be told something - we all went up to visit Nana, now in a

mental hospital under the impression that it was a hotel and anxious

about how it was to be paid for. She sat and shredded into pieces the

daffodils we took her. It was shocking to see her, normally a stolid

unglamourous figure, with a face like the Quaker Oat packet man, red

and plain, her body wrapped up in a flowered pinny, a tough, carping
                                                          
critic of all who passed the window, but closing her eyes in case the

show jumping horses on t.v. should hit a fence. She wouldn’t wear

green, she wouldn’t remember what foods the little me didn’t like, or

maybe she served them as a point of principal to try to enforce

obedience, but here my Mother wouldn’t collude. I was never made to

eat: food was not an Instrument of torture.

    The next time we visited E.C.T. Had been administered - Nana was 

calm and dull - memory blotted out - ready to be returned to the custody

of the Horrible Uncle. However, Uncle Maurice was dead, another

secret, a never before mentioned extra brother of my mother. I was

angry and puzzled. Surely I’d made a family tree at school, junior

school. Nana’s Mother who died was not on it, the Brother that died in

infancy of a fit, when the doctor wouldn’t come until he’d finished his

dinner, was not on it, and now another omission, a whole other Brother,

 So somehow as a child I had transferred the prison to other Uncle on

the other side of the family.

     Could a family really be so ashamed of a thief as to never even

mention his existence, all photos removed?

     It seemed so.
                                                   
     I was against  E.C.T. and pro R.D. Laing. How is it that a child can be

so unlike its parents? I liked the realism of ‘Up the Junction’ a play about

an unmarried mother that talked of sex, abortion, and homelessness

and I hated the Brian Rix farces with their dirty jokes so much that I left

the room to go and listen to Elgar’s cello concerto and that record my

sister left behind when she got married about a woman who wasn’t too

tall but was ‘the cincinatti fire ball’.

     There was another secret I found out from a tiny old diary kept by my 

nine years older Sister. Aged twelve, she’d written ‘the baby has

pneumonia and is in hospital’. The baby was me, why hadn’t I been told

that I nearly died? Implacably the answer came as usual, ‘the subject

never came up’

    All that made my Mother very angry was my asking what ‘rape’

meant. I could not be told until I was twice as old as I was when I asked,

when I’d be sixteen - by which time Gail had whispered the facts of life

into my ear during a wet games lesson and I knew never to ask my

Mother again.

     All that made my Father very angry was any mention of the house at

Max Road. While he was in Burma, my Mother had given up the house

at Max Road, which was too expensive in rent and made her liable to

have a soldier billeted there, and she went back to live at her Mother’s,

Nana’s. So, when my Father returned, much after VE day, part of the

‘forgotten army’, he found himself having to live at Nana’s with the

Uncles and a strange sad baby girl who didn’t know her Dad, my

Sister, most unkindly referred to as ‘Pudding’ by my Horrible Uncle.

          I had hated my Horrible Uncle, Ralph, for as long as I could

remember and yet every Saturday before I became a teenager and

could refuse to go and could spend Saturday in town in the coffee bars 

nd record shops and Derby art gallery, I had to endure his not really

very subtle ill treatment, under the nose of my apparently unconcerned

Mother, until Dad arrived to rescue me.

    From the moment Uncle Ralph entered the room, I was continually

aware of exactly where he was, so that I could be at the opposite place.
                                                                                                                                 
 Opposite him to play chess was in a way safe, safe from his lunges to

take hold of me. On leaving he would always demand a kiss goodbye,

and I would always refuse. No one ever said to stop tormenting me, to

leave me alone, not to set up for life a horror of goodbyes and kisses.

Was it because of his hair-lip? Either my revulsion or their reluctance to
                                                                     
 criticize him? But I hated him for the way he behaved, not for the bubble

shape on his lip and the scar. My mother remembered him as a little

boy, upset by jeers, unable to speak clearly, returning in tears from going

on an errand to the shop in the village. She knew he was not the wicked

brother, the worst Brother. I could not articulate what I hated, what I

feared. I loved the quiet Uncle, who would never touch me, the musical

one who took photographs, that played the clarinet and the double bass

and seemed rather lonely, and then surprised me by marrying, the

reserved quiet one who does beautiful book-binding, who eventually 


paints, who left home and left the Horrible Uncle to forever take care of 

his ailing Mother.

            So, a naked woman, surprising in her massive bulk, and thirty

teenagers staring at her with a certain respect. They tried to tell the truth
                                                                                                                                    
with their marks, they didn’t ridicule. They didn’t ask why the model was

 never male.

     And secrets, a lack of naked truth, with the aim of never discussing,

always avoiding, what? Keeping a child safe and happy and

unworried? Denying death, disesase and all sorts of harm and badness?
         
Post War there was not even advice. No stories of death, torture,

suffering and also no words to help with love, only unspoken feelings,

always unspoken, unexpressed.

    All I learnt was by osmosis, leaving a certain freedom.

 


 




1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the repetition and a few errors-I can't see how to edit it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete