Saturday 2 July 2022

Life Class 1967 Chapter Eleven. Horror.

 Chapter Eleven. Horror.
 

The term finished but Kevin and I stayed on in the flat, postponing the

 move to London until nearer the start of my teaching course.

    One of the requirements was to have done a week’s observation in an

infants’ school and somehow it seemed to be expected that I would do it

in Derby. Although I didn’t want to leave Kevin and stay with my parents

 for a week I didn’t get around to changing this. It was only a few days.

 Kevin saw me off on the bus, he ran alongside it in the dark, waving.

Relations with my parents were still difficult and I said maybe he

shouldn’t phone. He must have felt a bit lonely and afraid, abandoned,

although I thought of him all the time and wanted to be back with him as

soon as I could. He knew I loved him. We told each other we loved each

other.


 Kevin went off for a drink with Dick and Helen, didn’t want to go straight

 home alone and wandered along the main road towards a late night


cafe.

I was out with my parents at a play and then came home and watched a

sitar concert on t.v., thinking how Kevin would like it, trying to remember

 all about Ravi Shankar to tell him. There was no phone in the flat so I

couldn’t phone him.

The Infant School was just down the road from my parents’ house. I had

been reading John Holt’s books about education and I sat trying out his

theory with a little boy using cuisinaire rods, taking two away from ten,

counting the eight left, putting them back and counting the ten, taking

them away again, waiting for the wonderful moment when the penny

 would drop and the boy would be certain of the number without

 counting, would know it was going to be the same and always the

same. I was going to enjoy that moment of certainty. I was starting to

look forward to the teaching course, to moving to London, to a new

phase of life with Kevin, to being a couple in a new place. The Head

came in and was pointed towards the student observer, who was sitting

 with a small boy doing maths with the cuisennaire rods. There was a

message, I had to go, something had happened involving police, a

phone call, we had to go to Nottingham. No one would say much.

 I got to my parents house and ran to the toilet just in time as my bowels 


emptied. I was hoping and praying, but Kevin had been attacked, I was

 praying that he was alive, I was hoping he wasn’t a brain damaged

vegetable, but no one said.

  My mother stayed home and my father drove me. We went into a room

upstairs on a high floor and a detective came in and told me that Kevin

 was dead.

We couldn’t see the body. It was impossible, it was unbearable and I

wanted to throw myself out of the window, which was barred, and I

 screamed and beat on the door when the policeman went out and

locked it.

I had to sit with the detective and give a statement. He forgot we were

talking about a dead man who I loved and made a stupid remark about

 what a great time we students had.

How much can I hurt and cry?

I insisted on going back to our flat to look after the dog. My Dad was

 forced to leave me there. He was grey with worry like when I was lost

on the cross channel ferry and they thought I’d been swept overboard.

But what could he do now? My mother asked me to phone each day.

 That was all she could do. Everyone was sorry of course, some could

not speak, a stupid girl from up the road told me Kevin was in a better 


place now. Jane’s chap Steve came and sat in the room for several

hours just to be there, while I lay in bed, with a cold, unwashed, with the

dog beside me and time passed very very slowly.

I went to my sister’s one day and one of the little girls said I shouldn’t

have any dinner because Kevin couldn’t have any, which was exactly

 how I felt.

The local paper had headlines, ‘Hunt for killers as body found in city’.

Kevin’s body had been found on the Monday by a man on his way to

work, down a side street near some waste ground, under a bush. Maybe

 he’d gone down there for a pee. His head was smashed in. There was

 a mark from a belt buckle on his neck.

Two men who had never met Kevin before were arrested the next day.

They had told several people they knew that they had killed a man and

someone had gone to the police.They had enacted how they did it, how

 thye had a mangle roller with a steel rod up the centre with them in

order to attack someone, anyone, they showed the older one’s girlfriend

how they did it. She went to the police.

They were charged with murder.

If I had not gone to Derby, if I’d asked him to phone so he felt less alone,

 if I hadn’t bloody gone he’d be still alive.


I became preoccupied with death, my own. It wasn’t bearable to go on

 dragging myself from day to day. I wore black, the same black wool

dress all the time. I took the dog to the park, I phoned my mother every
 
evening. I wept and my head was constantly hurting from the crying,

and I thought about how to kill myself.

A few week’s before a sort of survival guide had arrived in the post,

delivered free. If you read it in  reverse it provided a suicide guide. It told

you which tube rail was live, how to cut your wrists, how much aspirin or

 paracetamol was lethal, how long gas took to kill you
.
I went into town to buy enough paracetamol and razor blades and a

bottle of gin. I met the stupid woman from up the road and she said was

I just going into town to cheer myself up.

Its an odd thing to go for a last walk, to have a last conversation with

your mother, to burn your diaries, to wait for the woman upstairs to go to

work, to take the dog a last walk, to leave a note to ask for Kevin’s

family to be asked to take the dog, to go into the kitchen and seal the

doors, to turn on the gas, to sit on a cushion on the floor and listen to the

gas hiss but hardly smell it because of my blocked up nose, to start on

the tablets and the gin.

I had always been bad at taking tablets so it took a while to get even a 


few down and I wasn’t used to gin at 9 am . I thought if I slashed my

wrists I’d run into the street. I was so tired and so very unhappy but I

started to worry if any one would take care of the dog, Butch.

I was sorry to hurt my family, my mother, I started to imagine my

mother’s grief.

I thought of the gas escaping into the garden, that some one might

come round to the back door and light a cigarette and it would all

explode and they would die and I would be left permanently disabled but

alive in a wheel chair. I thought that I didn’t believe in a life after death

 so I wouldn’t see Kevin ever again whatever I did.

All this, the hiss of the gas, the horridness of the gin, of gulping down

 the pills, of having a headache, of thinking of the dog alone, of my

mother crying. My mind would not stop.

 Eventually , suddenly, I noticed my mind change. I opened the back

door to let out the gas, threw out the big brown jar of paracetamol, kept the

Gordon’s, took the dog out, phoned my mother as usual and told the

woman upstairs when she came home from work that she couldn’t smell

gas,she was mistaken, I couldn’t smell it.

And that was it.

I had to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment