Tuesday 28 April 2020

Leonardo da Vinci - on tv




Leonardo da Vinci   

BBC One - Da Vinci: The Lost Treasure


I am watching Fiona Bruce go from country to country showing on tv Leonardo da Vinci's work.
She started with the Salvator Mundi in New York thought to be by him. To me it looks unlike his work, too ill defined and fuzzy.
She is good at this exposition, rather self consciously strutting about in Italian sunshine in a very expensive looking yellow dress, then in a dark embroidered number.
There are lovely Italian words - the sound entrances me, thinking of a visit to Florence with my beloved husband, sadly killed by docetaxl. How glad I am we went as he had always wanted to.

When I was an undergraduate we had a trip to Italy to study art but the Last Supper was closed as it was Easter, so I have only seen a copy in Caglieri in Sicily. Fiona Bruce shows a us a richly coloured English copy. Such a lively composition.

Then it's the Madonna of the Rocks - Luke Syson from our National Gallery talks about light and sfumato. A restorer is shown working on it.

We get a good explanation of Leonardo's multi faceted explorations into weapon design and anatomy.

Now we get to the Mona Lisa, which I remember feeling surprised to find so small.
I think it's the way the background doesn't match up in a straight line that keeps us looking, and of course the slight smile, about to change, to react to us as the viewer as if we have just met her, and the quiet glow of her in the darkness.

So, ten minutes left for the discovered painting, revealed by infra red photography.
I still don't buy it - not that I could afford it.

They say it's a real Leonardo.

If so its his worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment